Educational Advising Heading link
Advising is essential to the success of the highly diverse population of students at UIC. AAAN’s advising unit provides a comprehensive plan of services and programs to assist with the retention, persistence, and graduation of our scholars. AAAN’s advising services are developmental and focuses on the unique interests, concerns, and needs of African American students. The AAAN Advising team also recognizes the importance of building strong partnerships with students and other stakeholders. Through college and program collaborations, advising will be enhanced by developing working relationships with the College Advisors and other on campus partners.
AAAN Advisors encourage student participants to create community along with a sense of ownership in their academic, personal, and social development.
- AAAN Advisors assist scholars with identifying barriers to their overall success and develop a plan of action.
- AAAN Advisors foster relationships with scholars, which enables them to increase their awareness of their own interpersonal and intrapersonal development, while becoming involved on campus.
- AAAN Advisors aid scholars in identifying and clarifying their personal values, especially those related to scholastic achievement
Below you will find a list of offerings by the Advising Team:
- Campus orientation programs
- Assigned, individual advising
- Academic Success Planning
- Career and major exploration
- Goal setting and effective decision-making assistance