Initiatives for Student Success In our continuous pursuits of increasing enrollment, persistence, and graduation rates of African descent, AAAN’s Student Engagement unit utilizes effective practices that focus on implementing meaningful activities that are related to learning and personal development. Our programmatic activities range in scope from pre-collegiate preparation to post-baccalaureate pursuits (i.e. career exploration, professional training, graduate and professional school, etc.). We believe that the very act of being engaged adds to the foundation of skills and dispositions that are essential for thriving here at UIC but also living a productive life after college.
Student Engagement Heading link
Leadership and Post College Success provides programming designed to inform and prepare upper class students of career and professional school opportunities as they move closer toward graduation from UIC. The goals of Leadership and Post College Success are to:
- Provide undergraduates with a comfortable place to explore their post-college interests.
- Assist in providing undergraduate students with the necessary tools and information for attainment of their long-term educational goals; and
- Connect undergraduate students with various units and campus resources to facilitate their career and graduate school exploration.
- College Transitions and Persistence assists new students in completing a smooth transition from their previous institution to UIC. New students are assigned an academic advisor where they can assess the student’s academic as well as career interest. Additionally, AAAN staff participates in new student orientations and host campus visits for student groups and community organizations.
- Academic Enrichment provides programming aimed at enhancing students’ academic prowess by pairing students with a peer tutor who will help the student overcome challenging coursework.